Re: raise frame no go

From: Mathias Dahl
Subject: Re: raise frame no go
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 20:04:26 +0100

"Mathias Dahl" <address@hidden> writes:

> I just wanted to add to the discussion that Metacity indeed seems to
> be buggy. Yesterday I downloaded and compiled a small program called
> `xwit' that could "pop" a windo to front. Guess what, the same
> behaviour as I get with `raise-frame' in Emacs.
>
> A pity as I am reluctant to change my window manager in Gnome.

I have now found a work around to my problem. I am building a kind of
command launcher (something similar to this:
http://pyqe.sourceforge.net/) in Emacs and my problem was that I could
not get Emacs to bring the frame where I ask the user for input to the
top.

To solve my problem I downloaded and compiled a small program called
"devilspie" (http://www.burtonini.com/blog/computers/devilspie). This
tool lies in the background and "listens" for windows that opens, and
in my case I configured it to execute the "focus" action whenever a
certain window created from Emacs opens (my little command launcher
creates a frame with a special name).

Of course, if Metacity and Emacs would play along more nicely I would
not need this extra hack, but as it solves my problem it is no longer
really a problem for me. At least not right now.