Re: Pretest?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Pretest?
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 01:20:27 -0400

      1. I think BLOCK_INPUT is not necessary when `noninteractive' is
         set.  Is that correct?

I think so, because Emacs does not use signals for keyboard input
in batch mode.

However, I am not sure whether handling of other signals (such as SIGCHLD)
calls for BLOCK_INPUT nowadays.  If it does, then BLOCK_INPUT should be
needed also in batch mode, because subprocess can be used.

So you may as well do BLOCK_INPUT for getc, etc.

      2. getaddrinfo/freeaddrinfo are called with immediate_quit == 1.  We
         have to choose from either protecting them with BLOCK_INPUT or
         allowing quit during their executions, especially on the systems
         where SYSTEM_MALLOC is defined and thus emacs_blocked_malloc
         etc. cannot be used.

I am not familiar with getaddrinfo.  Why do users want to be
able to interrupt it?  Is that because it communicates with
a DNS server?

The only way I can think of to make this work right
is to run it in another thread, or use child labor.