Re: CVS Emacs Cygwin crash and browse-url question.

From: Alex Bochannek
Subject: Re: CVS Emacs Cygwin crash and browse-url question.
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 16:27:32 -0700

Eli,

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> First, please tell us whether the SEGVs happen even if you build the
> Cygwin Emacs with the versions of GCC that are considered ``safe'' (in
> the sense that other versions are known to produce a binary the
> crashes almost instantly).  See the entry in PROBLEMS whose header is
> "Building the Cygwin port for MS-Windows can fail with some GCC
> version".  Also, please make sure you don't build the Cygwin port with
> GTK+, as this configuration is known to crash on Cygwin (again, see
> PROBLEMS).

I used gcc (GCC) 3.4.4 (cygming special, gdc 0.12, using dmd 0.125) as
provided by setup.exe. Eric's comment about what Setup provides is
correct and GCC 3.4.4 was only promoted in Cygwin from experimental to
current on 2006-09-25. I am in the process of building a GCC 4.1.2 for
Cygwin right now. I was aware of the GTK+ and Cygwin issues and didn't
even attempt to build that combination.

Finally, I was looking into the browse-url issue a bit more. I found
that using browse-url-firefox as the browse-url-browser function instead
of browse-url-default-windows-browser will correctly open a URL in a
Windows Firefox from a Cygwin Emacs when setting the
browse-url-firefox-program to the Cygwin path of the Windows
Firefox.

However, the way process-exit-status works when launching a Windows
program from Cygwin is different than expected and as a result the
process-sentinel will launch a second (tab in the running) Firefox. It
would be interesting to get the bottom of this.

Alex.