Re: address@hidden: RE: cannot find :enable in Elisp manualindex]

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: address@hidden: RE: cannot find :enable in Elisp manualindex]
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2007 13:29:44 -0400

    I think this is a horrible idea.  I used to get lots of emails in HTML,
    and I hated it.  The great thing about Info format is that you can read
    it.

It is not hard to read hand-written HTML such as is used on gnu.org.

      It's text.

But that means there are no faces, no graphics, no non-ASCII
characters, etc.  Info format was a fine way of representing
documentation in the 1970s, with the features that made sense for
on-line reading at the time.  But now much better features are normal
for displaying text, even in Emacs.

      How many people edit XML directly in
    Emacs?  I've tried it, and it's not nice.

My suggestion was to use a limited subset of HTML, not XML.  I edit
simple HTML by hand often for gnu.org pages.

I do not know how XML differs from HTML.  Perhaps something makes XML
harder to edit than HTML; I have no opinion about that.