RE: propose adding Icicles to Emacs

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: propose adding Icicles to Emacs
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 08:51:28 -0700

>     I don't see how to do that. Concrete suggestions welcome.
>     Please have a look at the existing code. Likewise for the
>     other, related functions (`read-file-name', etc.).
>
>     I already do a lot of stuff on `minibuffer-setup-hook'. See,
>     for instance, `icicle-minibuffer-setup', which is on
>     `minibuffer-setup-hook' when in Icicle mode. I have no idea
>     how to do what would need to be done for `completing-read',
>     `read-file-name',... with `minibuffer-setup-hook'.
>
> What are the jobs that need to be done there,
> which you don't know how to do this way?

What do you mean by "there"? If you mean on `minibuffer-setup-hook', then
please reread the above. I am saying that I cannot do there the different
things that I do now in various functions (`completing-read',
`read-file-name',...) on `minibuffer-setup-hook' instead.

I gave concrete examples for `completing-read' and pointed to the code for
the others as well. Each of the functions has different additional things
added, which cannot be done on `minibuffer-setup-hook'. Initializations etc.
that are appropriate for only one function (e.g. `completing-read') cannot
be put on a hook that is run when every function activates the minibuffer.