Re: completing-read-multiple and read-face-name are not in Elisp manual

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: completing-read-multiple and read-face-name are not in Elisp manual
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 17:07:15 +0300

>> This is an optional feature
>
> What is? Do you mean completing multiple face names? My question was more
> general. `completing-read-multiple' is presumably not tied to face-name
> completion - it too should be documented, IMO.

Both are optional so far (completing multiple items in general and
completing multiple face names).

>> However, this feature could be documented and developed further to e.g.
>> allowing selecting multiple faces from the *Completions* buffer, inserting
>> them into the minibuffer separated by a comma, and calling a multi-command
>> on them.
>
> Not sure I understand you well, but I think there is no need to insert the
> selected faces in the minibuffer all at once separated by commas. When you
> say "calling a multi-command on them", do you mean calling it on each of
> them individually or acting on the set of them collectively?

In Dired, after selecting several files, you can run a command once on all
of them when the command contains `*' surrounded by whitespace, and run for
each file when the command doesn't contain it.

In crm, we could use different separators, e.g. to use `,' to call the
action on all completion candidates, and to use `;' as a separator to call
the action on each of them.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/