Re: Don't concat directories to file names

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Don't concat directories to file names
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 10:46:18 +0200

On 6/21/07, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

locate-user-file ?

Fine by me. Then we could name the variable `user-files-directory'...
I think we all can agree that directory is going to contain files :)
(but I still like user-data-directory much, much more.)

locate-user-emacs-file could have the file name
argument optional, defaulting to .emacs/init.el or something.

I purposely didn't care about .emacs in my function, though you could
get the basic functionality with

 (function-without-a-name ".emacs" "init.el")

because the .emacs case is quite specific. On MS-DOS/Windows, NAME has
four possible values and can be found in at least three places. You
could generalize the function-without-a-name to accept a predicate or
something, but it's not worth the complexity just for this case.

            Juanma