Re: insert-file-contents and format-decode

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: insert-file-contents and format-decode
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 18:48:28 -0400

     > Is your suggestion to fix this by disabling the modification hooks in
     > Finsert_file_contents around the call to `format-decode'?

    Either in Finsert_file_contents or within `format-decode'.

I think it is ok to disable them unconditionally inside `format-decode'.
Decoding is sufficiently low level that it probably makes no sense
to expect them to run these hooks.

Then Finsert_file_contents can run the hooks just once for the
(decoded) text that is ultimately inserted.

    I'm not sure what to do with `after-insert-file-functions' though.  The
    current documentation suggests that these are handled the same way as
    the `format-decode' based functions.  If you want to keep the current
    behavior for them, this should be documented throughly.  That means, the
    documentation should say that functions in `after-insert-file-functions'
    have to take care of narrowing, `buffer-undo-list', after-change hooks,
    and the like.

With the current plan, they don't have to deal with undo or change hooks.
How do they have "take care of" narrowing?