Re: Autoloading comment-forward

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Autoloading comment-forward
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 22:55:48 -0400

>>> I'm not sure I understand the question.  AUCTeX uses `comment-forward'
>>> to skip empty or commented lines when traversing LaTeX macro arguments.
>> Why doesn't it use forward-comment instead?
> Because it has to deal with Texinfo files as well.

I see.  Then I think Richard's suggestion makes a lot of sense.  Except that
it means comment-forward (and hence newcomment.el) should not be autoloaded
but preloaded.  I'm all in favor of such a change (after all, the
functionality provided by newcomment.el used to be preloaded (it was in
simple.el) before I rewrote it).

Richard, do you have an objection to preloading newcomment.el (after
changing forward-comment to comment-forward-internal, adding backward
motion to comment-forward and making forward-comment an alias of
comment-forward).

        Stefan