Re: preprocessing Makefile

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: preprocessing Makefile
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 12:02:26 +0200

() Alexander Klimov <address@hidden>
() Thu, 19 Jul 2007 12:41:57 +0300 (IDT)

   One solution is to set CPP="gcc -E -undef" or at least -Ulinux in my
   case, but I am not sure if this does not introduce other problems
   (currently bootstrap fails for me even on a system that does not
   have this problem with paths).

another one is to ditch the preprocessing altogether, shifting such
configuration duties fully to autoconf.  i wonder why this was never
done.  too hairy?  certainly mucking w/ the preprocessor (generally,
build flow) was a large part of the pain for the vms port.

i understand that early autoconf was not up to the task of configuring
emacs, but perhaps these days it can be cajoled to DTRT.  does anyone
object to this kind of revamp?  if so, why?

thi