Re: A system for localizing documentation strings

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: A system for localizing documentation strings
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 17:44:22 +0100

Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:
> If you are talking about the level of proficiency required to read the
> emacs manual then I am positive you are wrong.

I am talking about a language of last resort. Proficient speakers can
indicate their preferences appropriately. Sure, at some proficiency
level Mandarin will overtake English in number of speakers, but the
number of people who understand enough Mandarin to slowly make sense of
some documentation that is not available in languages they are
proficient in is minuscule compared with the number who know a small
amount of English.