Re: Fwd: A system for localizing documentation strings

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Fwd: A system for localizing documentation strings
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 18:14:23 +0200

Jan Djärv <address@hidden> writes:

> Jason Rumney skrev:
>> Jan Djärv wrote:
>>> Strings can be read into emacs, like the ones from the DOC file and
>>> then passed to the gettext functions to be translated.
>> It seems a little wasteful to me, to read a string from one docfile just
>> so we can look it up in another. Why not look it up the doc we want
>> directly?
>
> We could easily make a locale specific DOC-file, like DOC.sv_SE.
> But on the other hand, looking up strings like this is an
> interactive action, I'm not sure the performance hit is even
> visible.

Well, the DOC strings basically record where to find them in the DOC
file.  This information is unique for each string, and could be used
as a more compact index into the translated string.  _If_ one
recreates the index->string mapping for the translations whenever one
recreates the DOC file.

--
David Kastrup