Re: status of dir-vars or dir-locals inclusion in emacs?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: status of dir-vars or dir-locals inclusion in emacs?
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 13:05:46 -0400

    I did want to ask whether this is something that should be enabled by
    default.

Definitely.

It looks ready to install, as far as I can see, aside from some
minor points.  Do you disagree?

    (defun project-install-bindings-from-alist (mode-alist)
      "Apply local variable settings from MODE-ALIST."
      (mapc (lambda (pair)
              (let ((variable (car pair))

Using dolist would be clearer (and more efficient).

    ;; - need a way to add to auto-mode-alist per-project
    ;;   e.g., semantic wants GCC's .def files to be c-mode
    ;;   (RMS points out that this is also easily done by adding comments
    ;;   to the particular files.)

The point is, we don't need another way to do it,
so that item should be deleted.

    ;; - maybe an easy way to integrate with customize?

That would be a very good feature to add.

    ;; - per-project and per-mode new file skeletons

I don't think that is very important.

Some doc comments:

The comments at the start of the file tend to use passive voice:

      Settings can be
    ;; checked in to the project's version control and they will
    ;; automatically be found and used by Emacs.

    ;; A project class can be defined manually using
    ;; `define-project-bindings'.  Then a directory can be associated with a
    ;; given class using `set-directory-project'.

The active voice is easier to read, and clearer, because it states the
subject.  Can you please rewrite all the passive voice sentences to active,
except when there is some very strong specific reason to use passive voice?

    ;; When a file is loaded, project.el will search up the directory
    ;; hierarchy.

Please stick to present tense except when that won't work.

;; (define-project-bindings 'gcc
;;   '((nil . ((indent-tabs-mode . t)
;;          (tab-width . 8)
;;          (fill-column . 80)))