Re: loop in backup-copy-buffer

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: loop in backup-copy-buffer
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 23:15:46 -0400

    You added the (potentially infinite) loop in backup-buffer-copy a few
    years ago. Looks like it was adapted from make-temp-name. I can see it
    might make sense to loop while trying to make a tempfile name, but was
    there ever a case where this was found to be necessary when backing
    up?

In make-temp-name, this is needed because of possible race conditions.
I think there is also a possible race condition for making backup files,
and that's why I put something similar here.

I won't say I am absolutely certain it is necessary,
but don't remove it just because you don't see the issue!
If you can prove this carefulness is not necessary,
well and good, we can remove it.  Otherwise, we should fix it,
not remove it.