Re: Scratch buffer annoyance

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Scratch buffer annoyance
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 18:07:37 -0400

    There is *no* way out.  Any time you put the political or commercial
    goals of authors ahead of freedom, freedom will suffer.  Even if the
    political goal of said authors is freedom itself.

Freedom is doing just fine with the GFDL.  You are repeating the
mistake of Debian Legal: making exaggerated complaints about minor
issues.

The GFDL does an essential job to protect our freedom.  Look around
you: the real danger to our freedom comes from a widespread failure to
appreciate the importance of freedom.  The GFDL acts to teach users
about this, while still respecting the users' freedom.

Would someone please complain to Debian Legal about the old Emacs
manual license that is used in XEmacs?  They should not apply their
mechanistic reasoning only to us.  They should follow it to the end;
then maybe they will change it.