Re: 23.0.50; MacOS X 10.4: very slow visuals, multi-tty patch suspected

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: 23.0.50; MacOS X 10.4: very slow visuals, multi-tty patch suspected
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2007 11:43:15 -0700

Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:

  > On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 10:15:17 -0700 Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> wrote:
  >
  > DN> Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:
  > >> On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 09:10:09 -0700 Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden>
wrote:

  > >> If the multi-tty merge brought in input processing bugs that are
  > >> only visible on MacOS, that doesn't mean they are only happening
  > >> on MacOS.
  >
  > DN> Can you please explain what are you implying here?
  >
  > Just because *any* bug only shows up on MacOS doesn't necessarily mean
  > it only happens on MacOS, or that it only matters on MacOS.

In abstract yes, but this sound like splitting hairs to me. So IMHO
continuing to discuss along those lines is not very useful.

  > You seem to be saying that is the case for this particular bug.

Yep, given that multi-tty works just fine on Windows and X11, I have
no reason to believe that this is not just a mac issue.

  > I'm sure you know the internals much better than me, but you

I only have a bit more knowledge because I worked a bit on the code,
but the only person that actually knows and understands the whole
multi-tty design is Karoly Lorentey.

  > but you haven't said that it's known to only matter on MacOS so I'm not
  > assuming it.  You said it was reported before, that's all.

I am sorry I wasn't more clear, my intention was to say that this was
actually a mac problem.

  > I actually couldn't find that previous bug report, so if you could
  > point me to it I'd appreciate it.

Look for a long thread in the past few weeks with the subject
"CVS HEAD fails to build on OSX 10.4"