Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 10:02:29 +0300

> From: Chong Yidong <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 16:57:20 -0400
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> > Over 20 years of Emacs experience shows that it is important to teach
> > beginners to unlearn the habit of finding a file by typing `emacs FILE'.
>
> What you say may have been true 20 years ago.
>
> On modern computers, Emacs starts up so quickly and uses such an
> insignificant amount of memory that there is basically much no
> difference between starting a new Emacs and returning to a
> pre-existing Emacs session.

There will always be a difference, no matter how fast and memory-rich
our computers will be, as long as ending a session makes certain
things go away, like history variables, buffers that don't visit
files, etc.

If I take your argument to the absurd, you are actually saying that if
the machine boots fast enough, let's reboot it for each new command we
run.  Why not? it certainly cleans up memory from random junk put
there by buggy software.