Tramp (was: Folding emacsclient into emacs)

From: Bill Wohler
Subject: Tramp (was: Folding emacsclient into emacs)
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 00:17:37 -0700

David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

> C-x C-f /sudo::FILE RET
> C-x C-f /ssh:SOME_REMOTE_MACHINE:FILE RET

How about if I want to run "M-x svn-status RET / RET" as root locally.

How about if I want to run "M-x svn-status RET DIRECTORY RET" as either
me or as root on a remote machine? Note that the remote machine is
configured to not accept ssh connections as root--you have to log in as
another user first. I tried "M-x svn-status RET /ssh:host:~wohler RET"
and that produced a view of my home directory on localhost.

Also, I read in the manual (for tramp version 2.1.11) about
tramp-default-proxies-alist so that one can edit files as root on a
remote host, but that variable does not appear to be available in tramp
2.0.55 (in Emacs 22).

Thanks again.

--
Bill Wohler <address@hidden>  http://www.newt.com/wohler/  GnuPG ID:610BD9AD