Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 10:17:17 -0400

How 'bout the following:

- try and display the startup buffer while starting up (i.e. display it as
  early as possible, before the .emacs and most of the arguments are
  processed.  Might not be easy to do, I agree).
- if there was a filename given, keep displaying the startup buffer for, say,
  2 seconds: not enough for someone to read it, but enough to recognize it
  as a splash screen.
- then display a "persistent" message in the echo-area about how to get back
  to the startup buffer.

In any case, I feel like a lot of the discussion here has to do with the
fact that until now almost noone ever bothered to turn off the startup
buffer in their .emacs, whereas now it will be indispensible for a regular
user to explicitly turn it off for the obvious mental health reasons.

        Stefan