Re: fullcreen = fullboth yields undesirable behavior

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: fullcreen = fullboth yields undesirable behavior
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 08:06:49 +0200

Henrik Enberg skrev:
Tom Tromey <address@hidden> writes:
"Jan" == Jan Djärv <address@hidden> writes:
Jan> gtk_window_maximize does what Emacs already does.  It can't be used
Jan> when Emacs is not compiled with Gtk+, so there is no point in doing
Jan> so.

There is still a difference in behavior between Emacs and other Gtk
apps.

If I eval (make-frame '((fullscreen . fullboth))), it takes up the
entire screen, hiding the panel.

However, when I run the roughly equivalent pygtk program which calls
'window.maximize()', I get the results I expect -- a maximized window
where I can see the wm decorations and which does not hide the panel.

Emacs probably needs to look at the _NET_WM_STRUT and
_NET_WM_STRUT_PARTIAL properties of the EWMH spec when determining
width and height in Fx_create_frame.

No. Those are set, for example, by gnome-panel to inform the window manager that those areas are reserved and should not be obscured by fullscreen windows.

        Jan D.