Re: svn icons in the toolbar

From: Stephen Berman
Subject: Re: svn icons in the toolbar
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 15:54:55 +0200

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 13:43:52 +0200 Frank Schmitt <address@hidden> wrote:

>>     I am not familiar with the KDE icon API but I briefly searched the
>>     docs on my system as well as the web and couldn't find anything for
>>     KDE icons that seems similar to GNOME's stock icons.
>>
>> That is too bad.
>
> I think there is a common standard supported by both gnome and KDE which
> is developed by the Tango project at freedesktop.org (see
> http://tango.freedesktop.org/Tango_Desktop_Project contact at
> address@hidden)

I see that the Tango Standard Icon Naming Specification proposes a
classification of icon types and standard icon names that KDE and
GNOME both more or less use.  What I don't see in KDE is any naming
scheme like GNOME's stock* or gtk* icons.  It looks like these are
often aliases for icon names conforming to the Tango Standard Icon
Naming Specification.  I don't know what criteria GNOME uses to call
certain icons stock icons, nor just what role these play in the GNOME
icon API.  The Tango website also says: "In the short term, existing
KDE and GNOME icons names will be addressed using symlinks. We have
prepared a script which automatically generates appropriate symlinks
for existing naming schemes in GNOME and KDE so that compatibility
with current desktop applications will be preserved."  I have no idea
if this makes sense, but maybe this script could somehow be used or
adapted by Emacs to map GTK+ to Qt/KDE icons.

Steve Berman