Re: help-fns.el patch for commands to describe options and commands

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: help-fns.el patch for commands to describe options and commands
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 11:46:53 +0900

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
>> Yes. When you are looking for a command, you don't want to see a zillion
>> non-interactive functions as candidates. This cuts down that noise
>> *considerably*.
>
> I could buy that.  But those users for whom it matters most won't know to
> use the C-u prefix.  And usually the C-u prefix means something like "give
> me more control", so it would make more sense to only list commands/options
> and let C-u specify that we actually want to see all functions/variables.

I dunno which way should be the default (though I favor the backward
compatible way, I guess), but please, add the functionality, because
it's _useful_ (I'm not talking about newbies, just about my own use;
probably it's useful to newbies in some form too).

I very often want to peruse the _user interface_ of a package is, and
tend to do this by using "C-h C-f prefix- ?", see what functions there
are, then type the name of one to see how it works.  Clearly this gets
tons of noise from the non-command functions, and so it would be _very_
useful to have a command-only version of C-h C-f.

-Miles

--
[|nurgle|]  ddt- demonic? so quake will have an evil kinda setting? one that
            will  make every christian in the world foamm at the mouth?