RE: help-fns.el patch for commands to describe options and commands

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: help-fns.el patch for commands to describe options and commands
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 19:57:40 -0700

> I dunno which way should be the default (though I favor the backward
> compatible way, I guess), but please, add the functionality, because
> it's _useful_ (I'm not talking about newbies, just about my own use;
> probably it's useful to newbies in some form too).
>
> I very often want to peruse the _user interface_ of a package is, and
> tend to do this by using "C-h C-f prefix- ?", see what functions there
> are, then type the name of one to see how it works.  Clearly this gets
> tons of noise from the non-command functions, and so it would be _very_
> useful to have a command-only version of C-h C-f.

This is off-topic, but you might also find `icicle-imenu-command' useful. It
lets you browse among command definitions. It uses the imenu regexp to find
functions, and filters the results with `commandp'. Because of this way of
defining it, it finds only currently defined commands, however, not commands
defined in a file that has not been loaded.