Re: suppress_checking

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: suppress_checking
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 06:38:48 -0400

    Is there any point to the variable suppress_checking, or is it leftover
code?

Since eassert uses CHECK, this offers the possibility to turn off
eassert checking at run time.  However, eassert is no-op'd by default
at compile time, because ENABLE_CHECKING is normally not defined.

I don't see that it is useful, but I also don't see a point
in deleting it.

suppress_checking is implemented in a funny way: the expression to be
tested is computed and then ignored.  That would make sense if we were
concerned about function calls and side effects in the expression to
be tested.  However, if there were any, ENABLE_CHECKING would not work.
So we may as well test suppress_checking first.