Re: Is there a plan to record kbd macro as elisp code?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Is there a plan to record kbd macro as elisp code?
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 05:21:39 -0400

    is a kbd macro I recorded for M-x replace-string is -> IS. The complication
is
    with the TAB completion - it would require total knowledge about TAB
completion
    to reconstruct the command name - what edit-kbd-macro doesn't do.

That is a real issue, which I had not thought about before.  This is a
case which is easier to handle if you record the actual arguments.

On the other hand, just recording the actual value of the argument
is also sometimes wrong.  Suppose you mark text in a buffer and
copy it into the minibuffer as part of the macro.  The Lisp program
ought to copy the text too.