RE: recording-elisp.el - try recording commands as elisp code

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: recording-elisp.el - try recording commands as elisp code
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2007 08:48:44 -0800

I have not followed all the details in this thread. I have the impression
that the discussion now is mostly about how to do the best thing when
dealing with various interactive dialogs (isearch, completion, recursive
minibuffers,...). I suspect there is no one simple answer here.

There seem to be several viable interpretations of TRT, depending on the
context and user goals and preferences. If so, then, once the discussion has
settled down a bit and there is some agreement on TRT in general, please
consider also letting the user have a say interactively, perhaps by toggling
an option or two on the fly (during macro recording). The user's choice
could affect both the macro itself (replay) and the recorded Lisp code.

That is, assuming that there is no simple one-size-fits-all solution, let's
avoid hard-coding a smart, reasonable algorithm that fits many situations,
if we could (easily) also provide that default behavior plus alternative
behaviors that a user might prefer, depending on the situation. IOW, instead
of hard-coding TRT, let the user decide TRT on the spot (if possible).

IOW, consider promoting some of the design discussion you are having now to
interactive user choices. Just a suggestion to keep in mind. I have no idea
how feasible this is.