RE: recenter-top-bottom

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: recenter-top-bottom
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 00:34:22 -0800

>     1. The current window line determines the destination: If
>        within the top third, move to window bottom. If within
>        the middle third, move to top. If
>        within the bottom third, move to center.
>
> That is clever, but it has the bad effect of altering the behavior
> of a single C-l.  The virtue of your previous idea is that it
> only alters the effect of repeated C-l.

It was a suggestion from Alan, so as not to be required to use `C-l'
repeatedly to move the window point in some cases - just move immediately. I
think it's a good suggestion, myself.

The only things it doesn't let you do are:

1. Hit `C-l' only once to move from top to center. (Top moves to bottom.)
2. Hit `C-l' only once to move from near center to exact center.

Between top and bottom, I think top is the better choice for #1. That is, I
think it is more important for bottom to go to center than for top to go to
center. It seems natural to me, in terms of reading and scrolling. Cycling
means choosing one or the other order, in any case.

I don't understand a need for #2, but Bastien apparently does it often.

> So I think your first suggestion is better, and I am still thinking
> of maybe installing it.
>
> If people are very enthusiastic about your second suggestion,
> I will say yes to it.

I'm neutral. My personal preference (for myself, not for Emacs) is the
second suggestion, and I prefer either to plain `recenter'. But I think it's
unlikely that you will get a consensus for change on `C-l': preferences are
likely to vary, and habit with `recenter' will pull toward the status quo (I
almost said pull toward the center).