Re: recenter-top-bottom

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: recenter-top-bottom
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 13:15:27 +0000

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:

>> So I think your first suggestion is better, and I am still thinking
>> of maybe installing it. If people are very enthusiastic about
>> your second suggestion, I will say yes to it.
>
> Just to make it easier for people who might want to try both and compare,
> here again are the two definitions. Each is a possible alternative binding
> for `C-l'. (I've added the `scroll-conservatively' feature to #1, as well as
> #2.)

Thanks for summing up.

Another problem with #2 is this: if the window height is 60 and the
point is at 19, people might not be *sure* that the point is in the
first third of the window.  Pressing C-l will then put the point at the
bottom, while there were expecting it to jump on the top.  Note that in
this case, C-l will do the exact *opposite* of what they want, which is
not only surprising, but rather disappointing!

Relying on the fact that user is able to spot the position of the point
very precisely is not a good thing, especially for large windows, and
especially when the point is between two thirds, where it is the more
difficult to evaluate the position visually.

In fact, I often use C-l to spare me the cost of being sure where the
point is.

--
Bastien