RE: New keybinding suggestion: C-x _ for `shrink-window'

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: New keybinding suggestion: C-x _ for `shrink-window'
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 22:48:38 -0800

> I switched back to the loop.  The feedback looks more accurate.  The
> only problem is about numeric prefixes, but I hope I can handle this
> later.

Hmm. I thought that folks had determined that the non-loop was cleaner. Why
the need for a loop? Isn't specific feedback possible otherwise?

> I see your point about "editing" windows instead of simply resizing
> them.  What about windconfig.el?  BTW, "winsize.el" sounds a bit like
> ...spam to me (no offense.)  Why not "enlarge.el"?

No offense received - I didn't propose winsize.el or any other file name.
Any name you like is OK. It's the command name, doc, help, prompt etc. that
are most important wrt signaling what this does. IMO, this is about window
configuration (or editing), and resizing is only one such editing tool.

> As for the prompt, "[023=+-~srq? (S-)arrows]" looks unclear to me.

Maybe. It certainly doesn't explain anything, but it can serve as an
invitation to the doc and as a reminder. As I said previously, just a bare
"`?' for help" is sufficient. It's important to at least suggest that there
is more possible than just resizing - or, rather, at least not to suggest
that you are expecting (only) input for resizing.

> I will work on this once I solve the problem with the numeric prefixes
> and I'm sure that the functionality won't move.

FWIW, I don't agree with RMS that anyone would ever use an increment greater
than 9 lines. In fact, I don't think the C-N setting of the increment is
important at all. A single-line increment is sufficient for everything
(plenty fast), and if it were not, then it would be enough to offer just two
increments: 1 line and, say, 4 lines.

> Whether you want C-<arrows> or not is controled by the user variable
> `windresize-modifiers'.  We might find better defaults later.

I never saw that C-arrow did anything at all, IIRC.

> For "opposite borders" and "inwards", I will get rid of unclarity when
> the functionality are more steady.  And I'll handle the problem with the
> help window when I know what I put in this window.
>
> Again, thanks for the feedback!

Good luck. Thanks for working on this.