Re: parallel bootstrap failure; _prompt_? during bootstrap build

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: parallel bootstrap failure; _prompt_? during bootstrap build
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 22:42:15 +0200

> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden
> Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 14:02:38 -0500
>
>     In general, since -batch may still imply prompts followed by keyboard
>     input, I think we do need to set up keyboard encoding correctly.
>
> When Emacs reads input in batch mode, does it do this decoding at all?

No, we don't; at least a breakpoint in decode_coding_string does not
break when I call yes-or-no-p in "emacs -batch".  But I think this is
wrong.

> But since the input is coming from stdin, not from "the
> keyboard", I think it is wrong to do any such decoding.  What if stdin
> is a file?

Like Stefan, I think decoding it is TRT under -batch.  It doesn't
matter if it comes from a file: if the user redirects stdin to a file,
she ought to know that the file should be encoded the same as keyboard
input.