Re: GTK+/KDE frame shrinking has to do with tool bar

From: Stephen Berman
Subject: Re: GTK+/KDE frame shrinking has to do with tool bar
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 20:48:10 +0100

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 08:33:21 +0100 Jan Djärv <address@hidden> wrote:

> Thanks for the explanation and the test case.
>
> It may very well be that those 2 missing pixels causes some rounding
> error and that the frame shrinks.  As the code is now, we just accept
> the size the tool bar sets itself internally.  We could try something
> else, i.e. a fixed size or perhaps never shrink, just grow.  With
> themed icons, you never know how large or small they are going to be.

Really?  I would have assumed there are standard sizes (but that
wouldn't guarantee that non-theme icons would be available in the
appropriate size).

> But I suspect there is a bug in the resize logic here, only the tool
> bar should expand/shrink, not the number of lines.  I'm going to debug
> it, but it may take a few days, I am not at home right now.

I would appreciate that, and let me know if I can do anything at this
end to help.

> BTW, what KDE and gtk-qt engine version do you have?

KDE is 3.5.8-2.2, gtk-qt engine is from kcm_gtk-0.7svn20070827-16 (RPMs
for openSUSE 10.3).

>                                                       Is there any
> special theme to use to get this effect?

I'm using the default GTK style of openSUSE 10.3, which I believe is
QtCurve (it's just labelled "default" in my personal KDE configuration
file, but the systemwide configuration file refers to QtCurve).  To see
the effect of changing the style it is necessary to restart KDE, which
is rather onerous to do repeatedly.  When I have some time to do that
systematically and find differences depending on the theme, I'll report
back about it.

Steve Berman