Re: describe-{function,variable} shrinks frame (GTK+/KDE)

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: describe-{function,variable} shrinks frame (GTK+/KDE)
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 23:21:27 +0100

> By stepping through srb-shrink-test-1 with edebug, I have seen the
> reduction in frame-height occur in two places (on two different
> invocations of srb-shrink-test-1 after emacs -Q): as above, after the
> (sit-for 0.5) that immediately precedes (delete-other-windows), but also
> after the (sit-for 0.5) that follows (delete-other-windows).

I still don't understand.  Does it shrink after describe-... _and_ after
`delete-other-windows'?

>>Unfortunately, it seems impossible to turn that line off by setting
>>`Info-use-header-line', so I don't know how to test this.
>

> I loaded the info library, did `M-x customize-variable RET
> Info-use-header-line RET', clicked it to off with toggle button and set
> it for the current session.  Then I invoked srb-shrink-test-1 and the
> Info buffer came up without a header line (C-h v header-line-format in
> that buffer said its value is nil).  Did you do the same thing and get a
> different result, or did you do something else?

I did the same thing and apparently got the same result but
misinterpreted it.

> It seems that
> the header line is not relevant, but invoking info is.

It's nonetheless interesting that it always shrinks by one line.  Could
you try with a very high frame (one that doesn't fit on your screen)?
Also, can you repeat it with info and `split-window' alone, that is,
without calling describe-... ?