Re: .desktop file for emacs

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: .desktop file for emacs
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2007 09:24:23 -0800

<http://standards.freedesktop.org/icon-theme-spec/latest/ar01s03.html>.

  > > Does this mean the icons are not installed in the correct directory
  > > right now?
  > >
  > > Given that you seem to understand this, do you want to provide a patch?
  >
  > Please don't.  A normal user should be able to install Emacs to a
  > prefix of his choice.  I have several Emacs instances installed at
  > different prefixes.

There should not be a problem with that, if the destination directory is
relative to ${datadir}. That should make it work fine for your situation
and in the case when prefix is /usr it will do the right thing.

Ulrich's post shows that the current installation method for icons is
incorrect: they should go
$XDG_DATA_DIRS/icons/hicolor/{16x16,24x24,32x32,48x48}/emacs.png
Not sure how to test this, but it seems unlikely that whatever programs
look for icons would be able to find an icon called emacs_16.png or
emacs_48.png (no other programs seem to install icons with names like this).