Re: DocView: desktop starts PDF/PS conversion process

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: DocView: desktop starts PDF/PS conversion process
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2008 14:49:10 +0100

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Juri,

>>> What would be a good solution?  Maybe to add `doc-view-mode' to
>>> `desktop-modes-not-to-save'?
>>
>> No, that shouldn't be needed.  AFAIK desktop saves the files you were
>> looking at when closing emacs, and on startup it reopens them, right?
>> So when reopening a pdf that was already converted before, it should
>> use the cached files.  Is it possible that you accidentially deleted
>> them?
>
> Of course, a cache is not something permanent, e.g. on many systems
> rebooting deletes all files in the /tmp directory where the doc-view
> cache is saved.

On those systems I'd suggest to set `doc-view-cache-directory' to some
directory that won't be deleted automatically.

Basically that might be a good idea.  I had a short look at desktop.el
and it seems you can add a custom handler for restoring a buffer that
was in a special major-/minor-mode: desktop-buffer-mode-handlers and
desktop-minor-mode-handlers.

Dired and Info make use of the former, so these can act as examples.
Currently I don't have the time to implement it, so feel free to give it
a go.

Bye,
Tassilo