Re: Introducing 'unrecognized and 'ignored

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: Introducing 'unrecognized and 'ignored
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2008 09:34:15 -0500

Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden>:
>   > Are custom displays needed?  What would you want to use them for?
>
> I believe so. One use for displaying no-file related information:
> repository name, branch name, the command that is being executed (all
> done by PCL-CVS).
>
> In the future we might want to add some widgets to select the branch to
> display. Or to the repository to connect to. Maybe display a short
> version of the logs for the last commits in the repository for the files
> that need merging.

Dan, there are parts of the VC design about which I feel some
territoriality, but this is absolutely not one of them. The
performance of the VC-Dired code is not where I want it to be, your
arguments seem sound, and you seem well motivated to do a good job.
If you think you can rip VC-Dired out and replace it with a better and
faster ewoc-based display layer, you may do so with my blessing and
support.

I say this partly because the code structure should make this experiment
easy to back out if it fails.  But I'm not expecting it to.