Re: Introducing 'unrecognized and 'ignored

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Introducing 'unrecognized and 'ignored
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 12:08:19 -0700

>>>>> "Stefan" == Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

Stefan> There's the mode-line-process entry, but it's not visible enough.
Stefan> Also the PCL-CVS way of putting the actual command in the buffer turned
Stefan> out to be very useful to double-check what it is doing (and even more
Stefan> so when several commands are running at the same time).

Yes, I agree.  I rather like the PCL-CVS approach.  I've got a patch
to do this for vc-status, I'll send it after I test it a bit more.  I
hook into vc-do-command... I'm not sure if that is really a good idea.
I guess that's why we have patch review :-)

Stefan> As for on-the-fly updating rather than updating in the end.
Stefan> It's been on my todo list for PCL-CVS, but I never got to it.
Stefan> It'd probably be a good idea to add this from the beginning
Stefan> because it substantially changes the way things work: you have
Stefan> to use a process filter rather than a sentinel, you have to
Stefan> check whether the partial output you have is enough to parse
Stefan> it reliably or whether we need to way for more output, and you
Stefan> have to be able to update the display incrementally.

Yeah.  I think it is probably worth doing -- we know it is a potential
problem, and we have few dependencies to rewrite right now.

It is also worth considering if we really want to clear the ewoc
before re-running 'status' (or, eventually, 'update').  I suspect we
don't want to.  This seems to be what PCL-CVS does, and it has the
nice effect of preserving the user's marks and point during
operations.

I think that means we need a nice way to insert a new element into the
proper position in the ewoc; maybe a new ewoc method is needed.  (This
is different than updating the display incrementally, since right now
we just assume the back end hook provides the files in the right order
and we just insert them into the ewoc in that order.)

Tom