Re: Introducing 'unrecognized and 'ignored

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: Introducing 'unrecognized and 'ignored
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 09:05:24 -0800

Tom Tromey <address@hidden> writes:

  > Dan> But it needs to be updated to work with the asynchronous
  > Dan> interface. Can you please do that?
  >
  > Here's a patch.

Thanks, checked in.

  > I'm not really sure about using generate-new-buffer-name here.
  > Presumably each vc-status buffer should have a single vc "work" buffer
  > as well.

IMO yes. I did it that way for vc-hg. But it still needs some
management: warn if the buffer already exist and refuse to start a new
status command, remove the buffer after it has been processed.

  > After trying this a couple times, I think the user needs an indication
  > of whether anything is running.  pcl-cvs puts this nicely in the
  > buffer... anyway, if you run vc-status on a directory with no changes,
  > it can be a little confusing as-is.

Yep. vc-status-refresh and vc-update-vc-status-buffer can insert some
start/end messages similar to PCL-CVS.

It would be nice if we had something more general that is easily
visible for buffers that use VC async commands.

Something like changing the background of a mode-line entry for VC
buffers that are waiting for a command to compile. This should make it
very easy to spot a buffer that is still executing some command.

log, diff and annotate could all use this functionality.