Re: Simple Tasks, new TODO category

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Simple Tasks, new TODO category
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 11:00:58 -0500

    Well, I don't really want to argue about it. I'll just go on record as
    saying that it is a (classic) mistake. We should at least provide an escape
    syntax for such a "special" character.

If it works ok in XEmacs since 5 years ago, then unless we
see some specific likely problem, we can expect it to be ok.

Let's have a quoting convention so that people CAN include the
special sequence in a menu if they really want to.

    > XEmacs uses %_, which is even less likely to be used in a menu item
    > name, and has the benefit of not appearing in any key binding so we
    > wouldn't have to do any escaping of key bindings that are automatically
    > added to the menu.

    "Not appearing in any key binding"? How to know that? A user can
    bind any keys s?he likes. This is being short-sighted, I think.

You'd have to make % a prefix character to make %_ a key binding.