Re: Emacs costs 100M memory on Windows XP

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Emacs costs 100M memory on Windows XP
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2008 21:04:45 +0000

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2008 13:14:17 +0000
From: Jason Rumney <address@hidden>
Cc: address@hidden

Eric Lilja wrote:
I'm also wondering what --enable-font-backend does on windows...
It does the same as other platforms. It enables the new font backend which better handles unicode fonts.

Do we need to fix the build without it (which currently fails on
Windows), or should we make --enable-font-backend the default?

I think the original plan was to make the new font backend the default after the initial flood of post-merge bug reports died down, but if the old font code is going to be a major source of such reports, maybe it is better to make it the default sooner.