Re: [21.1.90]: point put at point-min in *compilation*

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: [21.1.90]: point put at point-min in *compilation*
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2008 10:14:15 -0500

"Marshall, Simon" <address@hidden> writes:

> In 21.1, if you run Compile | Compile... RET or Compile | Recompile in a
> *compilation* buffer, point is initially placed at point-max, which
> means that point stays at point-max as compilation output is inserted
> into the buffer and Emacs scrolls the window to keep the latest output
> visible.  Very convenient.
>
> In 21.1.90, point is placed at point-min, so that you have to actively
> scroll the window to see compilation output.  I really don't like it!

I think this is due to the following change:

2007-12-27  Richard Stallman  <address@hidden>

        * progmodes/compile.el (compilation-start): Set initial visible
        point properly even when compilation buffer already current.

Which was meant to address this complaint:

    From: Drew Adams Sent: Monday, December 11, 2006 3:21 PM
    Previously in Emacs 22, as well as in previous releases, , repeating
    grep in the *grep* buffer would put you at the top of the buffer. This
    was true at least as late as a build from 2006-07-19.

    Now, it puts you at the end of the buffer, so you must do M-< to get
    back to the beginning. Quite annoying.