Re: Improving X selection?

From: Tom Horsley
Subject: Re: Improving X selection?
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 16:36:41 -0500

On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 21:18:43 +0000
"David De La Harpe Golden" <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 07/02/2008, Tom Horsley <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Xterm only does PRIMARY.
>
> FWIW, that's not true of at least vaguely recent xterm - Holding down
> ctrl-middlemouse should bring up a menu with a "select to clipboard"
> option.

Yuck. Perhaps I should have said it might as well only do PRIMARY,
if I tie my fingers in knots I can get CLIPBOARD :-). Also I have
no idea what vintage xterms are on some of the platforms I access,
some of them are pretty old.

> > I happen to think the invention of CLIPBOARD was perhaps the single
> > most brain damaged idea ever foisted upon users by the singularly
> > brain damaged group of folks who call themselves freedesktop,
>
> I realise that's probably slightly tongue in cheek, but CLIPBOARD
> long pre-dates the freedesktop effort AFAIK. Some of the same people
> might be involved I guess.

Only a little :-). I think my brain operates in a nearly perfect
anti-freedesktop parallel universe. It seems like every time I find some
incredibly annoying behavior being adopted by everyone I eventually
trace it back to some document on freedesktop.org (that's why I use
the fvwm window manager for instance - it proudly refuses to be
freedesktop compliant :-).