Re: python.el fixes for Emacs 22

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: python.el fixes for Emacs 22
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 12:57:17 +1300

 > > I never installed that patch because I was uncertain about the authorship
 > > of the parts of python-mode.el that I was taking from.
 >

 > i believe that any changes to the code for pdb tracking functionality were
 > trivial, and that my copyright assignment would be sufficient for that part
 > of it.  i can check with barry, who incorporated the stand-alone code i had
 > written (as "pdbtrack.el") into python-mode.el

About 90% of the patch is for pdbtrack, mostly taken verbatim after the line:

;; pdbtrack features

The other 10% is generally defining defcustoms that pdbtrack uses.

 > > I still have a local copy of the patch updated to the trunk and could
 > > install
 > > it now if instructed to do so.
 > >
 > > There appear to be two options:
 > >
 > > 1) Install my patch in python.el which may in reality only involve your
 > >   contribution to python-mode.el and may not require other signatures.
 > >
 > > 2) Replace python.el with a modified python-mode.el which would require
 > >   more signatures (Barry Warsaw, Skip Montanero?) and more work.
 >

 > it sounds like you have done some substantial comparison between the two
 > implementations of python-mode, at least when you were working on the
 > patches.  can you characterize the differences between the two?  i never
 > tried python.el very far, because it lacked pdb tracking - but i've always
 > been favorably impressed with python-mode.el, and would be expect it to
 > offer a good basis to work from.

Firstly, as a disclaimer, I'm not a Python programmer.  My curiosity came from
working on gud.el and M-x pdb.  So I can't characterise the differences between
the two but I'm sure someone else on the list can.

 > i'm planning to contact barry and skip to see about copyright assignments -
 > would that help?  would you be willing to revisit your patches and bring
 > them up to date, if clearance for python-mode.el became possible?

I think they are up to date.  I've just tried to take pdbtrack from
python-mode.el and adapt it for python.el.  I can't remember the details
but I think I made minor changes like making the hooks added to
comint-output-filter-functions local.

My intention was just to get pdbtrack into python.el and leave it to those
who use Python to make improvements.