Re: uptime.el

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: uptime.el
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 21:14:55 +0200

>> Maybe emacs-init-time (for both the variable and command names
>> to reduce confusion).
>
> I was actually thinking it might be good to rename emacs-startup-time
> to before-init-time, and add after-init-time (consistent with
> before-init-hook etc). I think it would be confusing for -time to mean
> both a time and an interval.

I agree that before-init-time and after-init-time are better for
consistency, and I also think that emacs-init-time would be consistent
with emacs-uptime regardless of the distinction between a time and
an interval.

>> But do you expect an instance of Emacs to run years (as can be reported
>> by emacs-uptime :)?
>
> Why not? That was a deliberate piece of optimism! :)

So there is the difference: optimism is to expect years in the Emacs
running time but pessimism is to expect the same in the Emacs startup
duration :)

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/