Re: Enabling Transient Mark Mode by default

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: Enabling Transient Mark Mode by default
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 01:49:47 +0100

David Kastrup wrote:
"Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <address@hidden> writes:

David Kastrup wrote:
"Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <address@hidden> writes:

Don't we all think that new users probably want the highlight the way
cua-mode does it?
No, we don't.  That was easy.
;-)

So some of us think that new users want highlighting in Emacs to
differ from most other applications they use. Can someone summarize
what differences we expect them to like? And maybe why?

Because a web browser is not an editor?  Because in other applications
it is usual only to mark small visible areas instead of large ones?  And
do that with the mouse (which works in Emacs just as expected, anyway)?

In what way does cua-mode interfere here? (Except for the key bindings.)

If new users wanted everything to be the same as elsewhere, they would
not try Emacs in the first place.  For example, cut&paste&kill using the
mouse in Emacs is vastly superior to how other applications do it (they
require using the keyboard for that, or context menus, or toolbar
buttons).  It would be nonsensical to make Emacs inferior so that people
don't have to learn how Emacs is better than their usual applications.

What you say here seems reasonable, but I never use a mouse in Emacs.

The point is of course that new users should be able to use their old habits as far as possible + new features from Emacs.

So could you please take your strawman elsewhere?  Nobody ever proposed
that Emacs should behave differently from other applications merely for
the sake of being different.

I don't think I said so. I am sorry if my little joke upset you.