Re: Enabling Transient Mark Mode by default

From: Mathias Dahl
Subject: Re: Enabling Transient Mark Mode by default
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 10:56:09 +0100

> Don't we all think that new users probably want the highlight the way
> cua-mode does it?

Wrong list to ask that question, Lennart :) I would guess most here
think no because cua-mode "mess up", if you allow me to use such
strong words, many classic Emacs bindings. A friend of mine who has
started to use Emacs recently gets problems quite often when I show
some cool Emacs feature, just because of the cua-bindings. I am sure
one can use cua-mode without any problem but that requires a bit of
manual reading.

However, what I think works quite well for a beginner, although I do
not use it myself anymore, is pc-selection-mode. IMHO it does not
"mess up" anything. Using shift + the arrow keys to select a region is
quite common on most applications even under GNU/Linux.

But I am sure this has been discussed before here so maybe I shouldn't
have brought it up again...