Re: scroll-restore.el

From: David De La Harpe Golden
Subject: Re: scroll-restore.el
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 19:41:56 +0000

On 22/02/2008, martin rudalics <address@hidden> wrote:
>  > Well, that is perhaps useful on its own.  But just to note, some of
>   > the additional features are probably needed to address the
>   > transient-mark-mode region selection concern in the context where
>   > Martin introduced scroll-restore - e.g. handle-region and jump-back.
>   > (handle region just gives the appearance that an active region can go
>   > offscreen,
>

> Yes.  I found it useful when showing the same buffer in two windows.
>  Scrolling one window wouldn't relocate the region in the other.
>

>   > jump back is apparently then needed so that the region is
>   > really reset to the pre-scrolled region just before the kill,
>   > otherwise the real region at scrolled time is killed).
>

> No.  The region is restored automatically when the original position is
>  restored.

... But that means you would have to restore the position (e.g. by
scrolling back "manually") before hitting kill? in other systems, it
is conventional for the C-x/C-c cut/copy to do the kill of the
partially or totally scrolled-offscreen active region (not of a
different region, which is what happens without jump-back, unless I'm
still misunderstanding) - i.e. for this purpose, jump back is involved
so as to jump back to restore the point position so as to
insta-restore the original region just before kill.