Re: Enabling Transient Mark Mode by default

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Enabling Transient Mark Mode by default
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 17:26:45 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>>> I don't understand in what way TMM requires or enforces that "a usable
>>> mark implies an active region".
>> It may be mitigated with mark-even-if-inactive, but that is rather
>> recent development.
>
> Well, everyone is entitled to his/her own interpretation of "recent", but
>
>     1993-06-30  Richard Stallman  (address@hidden)
>
>         * simple.el (mark-even-if-inactive): New variable.
>
> that's around the same time transient-mark-mode sows up in the ChangeLog
> files, so I presume it was introduced at the same time (I know
> I discovered/enabled it "soon" after enabling TMM, but that "soon" may
> span a year or two).

I stand corrected.  How many people using transient-mark-mode regularly
also set mark-even-if-inactive?

>>> Thank you ;-)
>
>> The thanks are on my side.  It was somewhat of a nuisance not to be able
>> to use active-region commands, but the price of regular tmm-mode was
>> simply too high.
>
> What do you think of making C-M-SPC (and a few other such mark-*
> commands) turn on temp-TMM?

Sounds sensible to me for this one.  I think that things like
delete-selection-mode should _not_ switch on permanent
transient-mark-mode, by the way: they would appear also useful with
temporary transient-mark-mode, and it is a pity that one can't use them
with it.

--
David Kastrup