Re: Enabling Transient Mark Mode by default

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: Enabling Transient Mark Mode by default
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 10:30:37 +0000

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> `transient-mark-mode', then swapping the commands behind C-SPC and C-SPC
>> C-SPC [2] is strictly an equivalent of setting `transient-mark-mode' to
>> non-nil by default.  Or am I missing something?
>
> You're missing the other commands that activate the mark, e.g. mark-*

Right.

I guess the ambiguity you pointed before between the use of the mark for
navigation purpose and for selecting a region is not really relevant for
mark-*, which I guess are not really ever used for navigation.

But maybe I'm wrong on this.

In any case I would find it useful to have an intermediary route between
Transient Mark mode enabled and disabled, namely the one where setting
the mark with C-SPC also temporarily enable Transient Mark mode (with
just one keystroke, and without mark-* highlighting the region.)

(Here I can ear the movie soundtrack: "This thread is dead.")

--
Bastien