Re: Bug trackers

From: Don Armstrong
Subject: Re: Bug trackers
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 13:23:54 -0800

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > Yes, that's just a setting in one of the configuration files. [The
> > list of known packages is just a set of {packagename,maintainer}
> > pairs.]
>
> Then please do that.

> OK, good. Since we don't know what packages we'll end up using,
> having just a single catch-all address will take care of it for now.

Ok; creating more packages is easy, but I'll have to modify some stuff
to create a default maintainer address for missing packages. I'll try
to get to that later today.

> I'm glad I can use non-existent packages like that. This will allow
> us to try-and-use packages before knowing who should be the
> corresponding maintainer (or maybe even without ever intending to
> assign a maintainer address to it).
>
> I see that `index-packages' does list those non-existent packages,
> so other than not having any maintainer is there some downside to
> them?

That and the "gee, I don't know about that package, you shouldn't
assign bugs to them" message.

> Yes. You can subscribe to them via
> http://savannah.gnu.org/mail/?group=emacs

Ok; Stephen indicated that installing such a handler directly in
mailman was superior, so I'll hold off unless the gnu.org mailman
administrators think differently or won't have time to do this
reasonably soon.

> > 1: In the ack message you received, there should have been a warning
> > about how the package didn't have a maintainer and probably isn't the
> > right package;
>
> It looks like a very handy "misfeature" for our use case ;-)

Yeah, it's easy enough to code around, but it ends up being useful
almost everywhere.

> PS: By the way, are you interested in this as an Emacs user as well,
> or only as a debbugs developper?

I use emacs, but my primary interest is in it as a debbugs developer
and hopefully getting more people interested in developing for debbugs
too.

Don Armstrong

--
ou could say to the Universe this is not /fair/. And the Universe
would say: Oh it isn't? Sorry.