Re: Changes to emacs/etc/images/icons/README,v

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: Changes to emacs/etc/images/icons/README,v
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2008 10:27:42 -0800

Andreas Schwab <address@hidden> writes:

  > Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> writes:
  >
  > > Anyway the argument was that adding these icons does no harm, if they
  > > get installed by default, it does.
  >
  > What is the harm in installing additional icons??

Clutter.
When we get another icon, there will be 2 more people that like the
previous version, so we'll have emacs22.png emacs23.png emacs.png.
And after that the people that like the emacs-19, 20 and 21 icons will
come out and ask why aren't those icons to be installed by default?

More, the emacs22 icons are not available for all sizes and formats
(no .svg).  We will get bug reports that a format is missing.

Even more, is there any other application that installs multiple icon
versions? I can't find any on my up to date desktop machine.  Why should
emacs be special in that respect?

It's simply not worth it to have to deal with all these things. Keep it simple.